George H. Miley
|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
103 S. Goodwin Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
|Fusion Studies Lab
Fuel Cell Lab
|Fuel cells and hydrogen production, fusion systems, plasma engineering, reactor kinetics, high voltage technology, nuclear pumped lasers, direct energy conversion, low energy nuclear reactions in solids.|
- B.S. Chemical Engineering/Physics, Carnegie Mellon University, 1955
- M.S. Nuclear/Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1956
- Ph.D. Nuclear/Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1959
ACADEMIC POSITIONS HELD:
- Assistant Professor - Nuclear Engineering, UIUC, 1961 - 1964
- Associate Professor - Nuclear Engineering, UIUC, 1964 - 1967
- Professor, Nuclear and Electrical Engineering, - UIUC, 1967 - Present
- Affiliate Professor, AE, UIUC, 2004 - present
MAJOR CONSULTING ACTIVITIES:
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
- Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATIONS (field, location, date)
- Registered Professional Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, CA, 1975 -
PRESTIGIOUS AWARDS AFTER RECEIPT OF PhD
- Guggenheim Fellow
- Senior NATO Fellow, National Science Foundation, 1994-95
- Edward Teller Medal, 1995
- Fellow, American Nuclear Society
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Science Award in Fusion Technology, 2003
- ANS - Radiation Science and Technology Award, 2004
- Direct Conversion of Nuclear Radiation Energy, Am Nucl. Soc. & AEC, Hinsdale, Illinois, 600 pages, (1971).
- Fusion Energy Conversion, American Nuclear Society, Hinsdale, Illinois, 468 pages, (1976).
- Principles of Fusion Energy, (with A. A. Harms, D. R. Kingdon, K. F. Schoepf) 1st ed., World Scientific Press, 295 pages, (June 2000).
- Edward Teller Medal Lectures, (with H. Hora), World Scientific Press, 378 pages, (2005).
ARTICLES IN BOOKS-
- G. H. Miley, et al., Questions and Answers on Energy Alternatives, 4, Secs. 3 & 4, Am. Nuclear Society, (1981).
- Encyclopedia Brittannica, chapter "Nuclear Engineering-History and Objectives," (1985).
- Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers, chapter "Nuclear Fusion," McGraw-Hill Book Company), (1984, 1986, 1993)
(Fourteenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,) 5.4 pp.94-159, (2000).
- Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers, chapter “Nuclear Power for the Future," (Thirteenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,) 5, 76-93, (1993)
(Fourteenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,) 5.3 pp.77-94, (2000).
- Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers, chapter “Nuclear Power Plants,"
(Thirteenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,) 5, 18-75, (1993).
(Fourteenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc.,) 5.2 pp.18-77 , (2000).
- Microsoft Encarta Online Encyclopedia, chapter “Nuclear Energy,” (2002).
- “On Alpha Heating in Toroidal Devices,” Fusion Technology, Pergamon Press, pp.133-139, (1979).
- E. Greenspan and G. H. Miley, “Nuclear Fusion Research and the Electric Utilities,” Trends in Electric Utility Research, (eds. C. W. Bullard and P. J. Womeldorff) Pergamon Press, pp. 491-500, (1984).
- G. H. Miley, et al., “Innovative Technology for an Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Fusion Porpulsion Unit,” Fusion Energy in Space Propulsion, ed. Terry Kammash, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press, Washington, DC, pp.161-178, (1995).
- “1995 Edward Teller Lecture: Patience and Optimism,” Edward Teller Medal Lectures, Imperial College Press, pp.179-196 (2005).
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS- 2004-2006
- G. Lipson, G. H. Miley, and V. A. Kuznetsov, “Anomalous Neutron Activation and Plastic Deformation of a Copper Cathode during Electrolysis in an ultraweak thermalized neutron field”, Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 69, pp. 7-15, (2004).
- H. Hora, C. Yu, H. Xiantu, Z. Jie, F. Osman, J. Badziak, F.P. Goody, S. Gammino, R. Hopfl, K. Jungwirth, B. Kralikova, J. Kraska, L. Laska, L. Hong, G.H. Miley, P. Parys, P. Hansheng, M. Pfeifer, K. Rohlena, J. Skala, Z. Skladanowski, L. Torrisi, J. Ullschmied, J. Wolowski, Z. Weiyan, “Generation of Nonlinear Force Driven Blocks from Skin Layer Interaction of Petawatt-Picosecond Laser Pulses for ICF”, Plasma Science and Technology, Vol 69, No. 1, pp. 2173-2178, (2004).
- G.H. Miley, L. Wu, and H. J. Kim, “IEC-based neutron Generator for Security Inspection System”, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 263, No. 1, pp. 159-164, (2005).
- F. Osman, H. Hora, X.Z. Li, G.H. Miley and J.C. Kelly, “Supporting the Josephson Interpretation of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions and Stabilization of Nuclear Waster”, American Journal of Applied Science 2 (6), pp 1049-1057 (2005)
- A.G. Lipson, A.S. Rusetskii, A.B. Karabut, and G.Miley, “ DD Reaction Enhancement and X Ray Generation in a High-Current Pulsed Glow Discharge in Deuterium with Titanium Cathode at 0.8-2.45kV”, Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Vol. 100, No.6, pp. 1334-1349, (2005).
- N. Luo, P.J Shrestha and G. H. Miley, “ Enhancement of Nuclear Reactions due to Screening Effects of Core electrons”, Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, Proceeding of the 10th International Conference on Cold Fusion, P. L. Hagelstein and S. R. Chubb (Editors), Cambridge, MA, USA, Aug 24-29 2003, pp. 687-693, published December (2005).
- L. Wu, G.H Miley and H. Momota, “ Space-Charge Neutralization of heavy ion beams via electron injection”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics research, Section A, pp.533-537,June 7-11, (2004).
- A. Lispon, B. Heuser, C. Castano, G. Miley, B. Lyakhov, and A. Mitin “Transport and Magnetic Anomalies below 70 K in a Hydrogen-cycled Pd Foil with a Thermally Grown Oxide”, Physical Review B 72, 212507, Dec 13, (2005),
- G.H. Miley, G. Narne, T. Woo, “Use of Combined NAA and SIMS Analyses for Impurity Level Isotope Detection. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 263, pp. 691-696, N0V(2005).
SELECTED ARTICLES IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS- 2004-2006
- G.H. Miley, F. Osman, and H. Hora, “Plasma Block Acceleration by PS-TW Irradiation,” SPIE Ablation, Taos, NM (2004).
- G.H. Miley, Nie Luo, Andrei Lipson, and A.B. Karabut, “A Unique Plasma Discharge Driven Solid-State X-ray Laser ”, SPIE Ablation, Taos, NM (2004).
- G.H. Miley, “A New Field of Nuclear Technology – Nuclear Transmutation Reactions in Solids”, 14th Pacific Basin Nuclear Conference, Mar (2004).
- G.H. Miley, H. Momota, R. Stubbers, J. Webber, L. Wu, and H.J. Kim, “Collimator Experiments for IEC-Based Spacecraft Propulsion”, 14th Pacific Basin Nuclear Conf., Mar (2004).
- G.H. Miley, R. Stubbers, L. Wu, and H. Momota, “An IEC-Driven Sub-Critical Assembly for Teaching Laboratories Offering a New Generation of Sub-Critical Experiments”, 14th Pacific Basin Nuclear Conf., Mar (2004).
- G.H. Miley, R. Stubbers, Y. Yang, J. Webber, and Y. Shaban, “Advances in IEC Technology for a Portable Neutron/Proton Source”, 14th Pacific Basin Nuclear Conf., Mar (2004).
- G. H. Miley, R. Stubbers, J. Webber and H. Momota, “Magnetically-Channeled SIEC Array (MCSA) Fusion Device for Interplanetary Missions”, STAIF 2004, edited by M.S. El-Genk, AIP Conf. Proc., Vol. 699, pp. 399-405, Feb 8-11, (2004).
- G. H. Miley, Y. Shaban and Y. Yang, “RF Ion Gun Injector in Support of Fusion Ship II Research & Development”, STAIF 2004, edited by M.S. El-Genk, AIP Conf. Proc., Vol 699, pp. 406-412, Feb 8-11, (2004).
- H. Hora, G. H. Miley and F. Osman, “Boltzmann Equilibrium of Endothermic Heavy Nuclear Synthesis in the Universe and a Quark Relation to the Magic Numbers”, Tucson-LLNL Astrophysics Conference, 10-13 March (2005 ).
- G.H. Miley, Robert Stubbers, H. Momota, “ A Proton Collimator for IEC Fusion Propulsion”, Final Report for NASA Contract NAS 8-02012, March (2004).
- H. Hora, G.H. Miley, F. Osman, P. Hammerling, “Fields in Laser Ablated Plasmas Generalized to Degenerate Electrons and to Fermi Energy in Nuclei with Change to Quark-Gluon Plasma”, Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 5449, Taos, NM (2004).
- H. Hora, F. Osman, Y. Cang, J. Badziak, S. Jablonski, S. Glowacz, G.H. Miley, P. Hammerling, J. Wolowski, K. Jungwirth, K. Rohlena, X. He, H. Peng, and J. Zhang, “Two-ps laser driven blocks for light ion beam fusion in solid density DT”, High-Power Lasers and Applications III, Proc. of SPIE, 5627 (2005).
- G.H. Miley, Yang Yang, Linchun Wu, and Hiromu Momota, “ Reactor Dynamics Experiments with a sub-Critical Assembly”, Americans Nuclear Energy Symposium 2004, FL, Oct. 3-6 (2004).
- A. Lipson, C. Castano, G. Miley, A. Mitin, and B. Lyakhov, “Emergence of a High Temperature Superconductivity in Hydrogen Cycled Pd compounds as an Evidence of a superstoihiometric H/D Sites”, Proc. ICCF-11, Marseilles, France, Oct 31 – Nov 5, (2004).
- A. G. Lipson, A. S. Roussetski, G. H. Miley, B. F. Lyakhov, “Energetic Charged Particle Emission from the Hydrogen Loaded Pd and Ti Cathodes and its Enhancement by a He-4 Implantation”, Proc. ICCF-11, Marseilles, France, Oct 31 – Nov 5, (2004).
- A.G. Lipson, and G. H. Miley, “Anomalous Neutron Capture and Plastic Deformation of Cu and Pd Cathodes during Electrolysis in a weak Thermalized Neutron Field”, Proc. ICCF-11, Marseilles, France, Oct 31 – Nov 5 (2004).
- G.H. Miley, Y. Yang, L. Wu and H. Momota, “Reactor Dynamics Experiments with a Sub-Critical Assembly”, ANES-Building Bridges to Greater Cooperation, Miami Beach, FL, Oct 3-6, (2004).
- G.H. Miley, A. Duwel, “Post-Activated Secondary Electron Radio-Isotope MEMS Battery”, RIMS DARPA Meeting, Arlington, VA, Oct 14-15, (2004).
- N. Luo and G. H. Miley, “First-Principles Studies of Ionic and Electronic Transport in Palladium Hydride”, ICCF10 Proceedings, July 29, (2005).
- H.D. Froning, Jr., G.H. Miley, N. Luo, Y. Yang, H. Momota, E. Burton, “Combining MHD Airbreathing and Fusion Rocket Propulsion for Earth-to-Orbit Flight”, Space Tech. and App. Int’l Forum – STAIF 2005, Albuquerque, NM, pp. 1339- 1344, Feb 13-17, (2005).
- R. Thomas, Y. Yang, G.H. Miley, F.B. Mead, “Advancements in Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) for Space Propulsion”, Space Tech. and App. Int’l Forum – STAIF 2005, Albuquerque, NM, pp. 536 – 543, Feb 13-17, (2005).
- G.H. Miley, H. Momota, R. Thomas, Y. Takeyama, “Dipole Assisted Inertial Electrostatic Confinement”, 7th US – Japan Workshop on Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Fusion, Los Alamos, NM, Mar 14-16, (2005).
- G.H. Miley, H. Momota and R. Stubbers, “A novel Electric Thruster Based on IEC Plasma Jet Technology” The 2004 International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants, Proceedings of ICAPP ’04, pp. 2234 – 2239, Pittsburgh, PA June 13-17, (2004).
- L. Wu, G. H. Miley and H. Momota “Space-charge neutralization of heavy ion beams via electron injection,” Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium on Heavy Ion Inertial Fusion HIF, 544, 1-2, 21, pp 533-537, May 2005, (2004).
- H. Hora, G.H. Miley, Y. Yang, A.G. Lipson, “A Plasma Bombardment – Metal Hydride Target Soft X-ray Source”, Plasma Science and Technology, AVS 52nd International Symp, Boston MA, Oct 30 -Nov 4, (2005).
- M.P. Reilly, G.H. Miley and W.A. Hargus Jr., “Plume Expansion and Ionization in a Micro Laser Plasma Thruster,” 41st AIAA/ASMA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, Tucson Az, Jul 10-13, (2005).
- H. Hora, G.H Miley, X.Z Li, J.C Kelly and F. Osman, “Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Resulting As Picometer Interactions With Similarity To K-Shell Electron Capture, Eleventh International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, France, (2004).
- 4th International Conference Inertial Fusion Science and Applications, Biarritz, 4-9 Sept. (2005)
- H. Hora, G.H. Miley and F. Osman, “Debye sheath of laser produced plasmas generalized to the quark-gluon plasma and high energy density physics”, 4th International Conference Inertial Fusion Science and Applications, Biarritz, 4-9 Sept. (2005).
- H. Hora, J. Badziak, S. Glowacz, J. Wolowski, F. Osman, Y. Cang, J. Zhang, H. Peng, X. He, G. H. Miley, K. Jungwirth, K. Rohlena, and J. Ullschmied “Plasma blocks from nonlinear force generated skin layer acceleration for ignition of a fusion flame in nearly uncompressed solid DT”, 4th International Conference Inertial Fusion Science and Applications, Biarritz, 4-9 Sept. (2005).
- R. Thomas, G.H. Miley, and F. Mead, “An Investigation of Bremsstrahlung Radiation in a
Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Propulsion Device”, Symposium on Space Nuclear Power and Propulsion (STAIF) (2006).
- G.H. Miley, Nile Luo, Prajakti J. Shrestha, Richard Gimlin, Rodney Burton, John Rusek, Frank Holcomb, “H202Based Fuel Cells for Space Power Systems”, AIAA International Energy Conversion, San Francisco, August (2004).
- G.H. Miley, L. Wu, H. Momota, H. Kim, “Study of Ion Stripping and Charge Exchange for Heavy Ion Fusion”, IEEE Symposium on Fusion Engineering, Knoxville, Tennessee, September 26-29, (2005).
- G.H. Miley, N. Luo, J. Mather, E. Byrd, G. Hawkins, L. Gu, A. Nayak, R. Burton and P. J. Shrestha, “Optimization of the H2O2-NaBH4 Regenerative Fuel Cell for Space Power Applications Using FEMLAB Modeling”, FEMLAB Conference, Boston, MA, Oct 23-25 (2005).
- H. Hora, J. Badziak , J. Zhang, G.H. Miley, Weiyan Zhang, Hansheng Peng,Xiantu He, S. Glowacz, S. Jablonski, J. Wolowski, Z. Skladanowski, F. Osman, Yu Cang, S. Sana,M.N. Read, K. Jungwirth, K. Rohlena, J. Ullschmied “Fast Ignition by Laser Driven Particle Beams of Very High Intensity”, 21st IAEA International Fusion Energy Conference, Oct 16-21, Chengdu, China (2006)
- N. Luo, G.H. Miley, P.J. Shrestha, R. Gimlin, R. Burton, G. Hawkins, J. Mather, J. Rusek, F. Holcomb, “H2O2 Fuel Cells for Air-Independent Power Systems”, Proceeding of 8th International Hydrogen Peroxide Propulsion Conference, , Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN, Sept 18-21 (2005)
- G. H. Miley, and P. J. Shrestha, “Review of Transmutation Reactions in Solids”, Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, Proceeding of the 10th ICCF, P. L. Hagelstein and S. R. Chubb (Editors), Cambridge, MA, USA, 24-29 Aug 2003, Published December (2005).
- N. Luo, G.H. Miley, J. Mather, R. Burton, G. Hawkins, R. Gimlin, J. Rusek, T. Valdez, and S.R. Narayanan, “ NaBH4/H2H2 Fuel Cell for Lunar and Mars Exploration”, AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 813, pp 209-221, STAIF Albuquerque, New Mexico, 12-16 February 2006
- G. H. Miley, H. Momota, P.J. Shrestha, R. Thomas, and Y. Takeyama, “ Space Propulsion Based on Dipole Assisted IEC System”, AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 813, pp 1240-1248, STAIF Albuquerque, New Mexico, 12-16 February 2006
- S.D. Knecht, R. E. Thomas, F. B. Mead, G. H. Miley, and D. Froning, “Propulsion and Power Generation Capabilities of a Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Fusion system for future Military Aerospace Vehicles”, AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 813, pp 1232-1239, STAIF Albuquerque, New Mexico, 12-16 February 2006
- Fusion Studies Lab,-Director, 1975-present
- Chairperson, Nuclear Engineering Program, 1983-1995
- Governor's Commission on Science and Technology, Fusion Task Force, 1983-1990
- Illinois Power Company, Nuclear Regulatory Audit Group for Safety, 1984-1995
- Member, Oak Ridge Associated University Advisory Committee for DOE Fusion Science Fellowships; also Fusion Technology Fellowships, 1981-2000
- Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, Radiation Protection Advisory Council, 1986-
- Member, CONTAG Review Committee, USAF, 1987-1991
- Chairman, Technical Advisory Committee to the IDNS Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Program, 1988-1995
- Chairman, Industrial Use Advisory Board, for Ill. Dept. of Nuclear Safety, 1988-1992
- Member, Advisory Board for DOE Fellowships in Magnetic Fusion Technology and Fusion Science, 1984-2000