|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
|321C Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61864
|Director of AE's Fluid Turbulence Laboratory with experimental and computational research in compressible and two-phase unsteady flow.|
View additional information about Professor Loth.
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, May 1988
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, August 1985
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, West Virginia University, May 1983
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois, January 1990-August 1995
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois, August 1995-August 2002
- Professor, University of Illinois, August 2002-
- Staff Scientist, Berkeley Research Associates, Sept. 1988-Jan. 1989
- Aerospace Engineer, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC
Major Honors and Awards:
- Visiting Scholar at Cambridge University, Engineering Department, Fall 2004
- Willett Faculty Scholar, UIUC College of Engineering (2002-)
- NASA Revolutionize Aviation Team Award, 2001
- Associate Fellow of AIAA, 2000-
- Faculty Fellow, National Center for Supercomputing Applications ('00, '01, '02)
- UIUC List of Teachers Ranked Excellent by their Students ('90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '97, '02, '05)
- Who's Who, 2000 -
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 1996-
- Senior Fellow, Naval Research Lab, Washington D.C., 1995
- Teacher of the Year, AAE Department (UIUC) , 1994
- UIUC Campus Research Board Award, 1990, 1994
- Finalist, UIUC Vice-Chancellor Teaching Scholars, 1994
- UIUC College of Engineering Advisors List (for advising excellence), 1993
- Men of Achievement, 1992-
- International Paper Co. Undergraduate Instructional Support Award, 1991
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, 1990
- Department of Navy Exceptional Performance Award, 1989
- A.J. Dorgan*, E. Loth, and E. Frazzoli, "Autonomous Control of a Micro-Aircraft Vehicles Falling through an Atmospheric Boundary Layer", AIAA Journal (to appear, and also in AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno NV, January AIAA-2004-0539).
- J. Pan and E. Loth "Detached Eddy Simulations for Iced Airfoils", AIAA Journal of Aircraft (to appear and also in AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno NV, AIAA-2004-0564, January 2004).
- D. Gefroh, E. Loth, J.C. Dutton, E. Loth, W. Sherman, A. Aumann, and C. Navarro*, "A Virtual Rendering of Multiphase Flows", International Journal of Computational Fluids Dynamics Vol. 18, No. 3, April 2004, pp. 265-275.
- and S. McIlwain "Control of an Oblique SBLI with Aeroelastic Mesoflaps," AIAA Journal Vol. 40, pp. 2456-2466, 2002.
- E. Loth "Numerical Approaches to Dilute Two-Phase Flow," Review paper for Progress in Energy and Combustion Science Vol. 26, No. 3 June 2000, pp. 161-223.
- A. Dorgan and E. Loth, "Efficient Calculation of the History Force at Finite Reynolds Number" Intl. J. of Multiphase Flow (to appear).
- R. Jaiman, X. Jiao, P. Guebelle, and E. Loth, "Conservative Load Transfer Along Curved Fluid-Solid Interface with Non-matching Meshes", Journal of Computational Physics Vol. 218, Pages 372-397, October 2006.
- T. Bocksell and E. Loth, "Stochastic Modeling of Particle Diffusion in a Turbulent Boundary Layer" Intl. J. of Multiphase Flow Vol. 32, pp. 1234-1253, 2006.
- A.J. Dorgan, E. Loth, T.L. Bocksell, and P.K. Yeung "Boundary Layer Dispersion of Near-Wall Injected Particles of Various Inertias", AIAA Journal (to appear).
- K. Srinivasen, E. Loth, & J.C. Dutton "Aerodynamics of Recirculating Flow Control Devices for Normal Shock/Boundary Layer Interactions" AIAA Journal Vol. 44, pp. 751-763, 2006.
- B. Field & E. Loth "Entrainment of Refrigerated Air Curtains Down a Wall" Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science Vol. 30, pp. 175-184, 2006.