|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
|310 Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
Dynamic and quasi-static crack initiation, growth and arrest in multiphase systems.
Quasi-static and dynamic fracture of Functionally Graded Materials (FGMs).
Dynamic fracture, failure and wave propagation in composite materials.
Dynamic constitutive response of traditional and advanced materials.
Thermomechanical effects and adiabatic shear banding.
Experimental micromechanics and multiscale experimentation.
Thermomechanical fatigue of metals and ceramics.
View additional information about Professor Lambros.
- Ph.D., Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, 1994, Minor Subject : Materials Science
- M.S., Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, 1989
- B.Eng., Aeronautical Engineering, Imperial College of Science and
Technology, University of London, 1988
- Professor 2007-present, Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Affiliate Professor 2002-present, Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Associate Professor 2000-2007, Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Assistant Professor 1995-2000, Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow 1994-1995, Aeronautics, Caltech
Major Honors and Awards:
- University of Illinois College of Engineering Xerox Research Award, 2007
- Journal Editor: Associate Technical Editor for "Experimental Mechanics," 1999-2005
- AIAA UIUC Teacher of the Year Award, 2005
- UIUC Outstanding Advisors List, 2005
- NSF early Career award, 1999
- Anlas G., Santare M. H. and J. Lambros, “Numerical calculation of stress intensity factors in functionally graded materials”, International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 104, No. 2, pp. 131-143, 2000.
- Bjerke T. and Lambros J., “Theoretical development and experimental validation of a thermally dissipative cohesive zone model for dynamic fracture of amorphous polymers”, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 51, pp. 1147-1170, 2003.
- Kimberley J. and Lambros J., “Dynamic crack kinking from a PMMA/Homalite interface”, Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 158-166 2004.
- Abanto-Bueno J. and Lambros J., “An experimental study of mixed mode crack initiation and growth in functionally graded materials”, Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 179-196, 2006.
- Berfield T.A., Patel J.K., Shimmin R.G., Braun P.V., Sottos N.R. and Lambros J., “Fluorescent Image Correlation for Nanoscale Deformation Measurements”, Small, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 631-635, 2006.