Huck Beng Chew
|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
|306H Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
Computational-based nano and micromechanics of small-scale material structures; multi-scale modeling and simulations; fracture and failure processes; inverse approaches by field projection.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2007
- MEng, Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2003
- BEng (1st class honors), Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2002
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, August 2011 – Present
- Assistant Professor (Research), Brown University, July – Aug 2011
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Brown University, January 2008 – June 2011
Awards, Fellowships and Affiliations:
- CEng CEnv MIMechE, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK
- President Graduate Fellowship, National University of Singapore
- Vice Chancellor’s List, National University of Singapore
- Chew, H.B., Moon, M.-W., Lee, K.R. and Kim, K.-S., Compressive dynamic scission of carbon nanotubes under sonication: fracture by atomic ejection. Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 467 (2011), 1270-1289. Highlighted in Nature, 468 (2010), 870-871.
- Chew, H.B., Hong, S. and Kim, K.-S., Cohesive zone laws for void growth – II. Numerical field projection of elasto-plastic fracture processes with vapor pressure. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 57 (2009), 1374-1390.
- Chew, H.B., Guo, T.F. and Cheng, L., Pressure-sensitive ductile layers — I. Modeling the growth of extensive damage. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 44 (2007), 2553-2570.