Philippe H. Geubelle
|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
306B Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
|Theoretical and computational solid mechanics, (Dynamic) fracture mechanics, Multiscale modeling of complex materials, Computational aeroelasticity, Massively parallel computing, Solid mechanics issues in manufacturing, Computational design of novel (autonomic) materials.|
- Ph.D., Aeronautics (with Minor in Material Science), California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, June 1993.
- MS, Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, June 1989.
- B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Catholic University of Louvain, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, June 1988.
- Professor in Aerospace Engineering (AE), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), August 2006 to present.
- Associate Professor in AE at UIUC, September 2000 to August 2006.
- Assistant Professor in AE at UIUC, January 1995 to August 2000.
- Faculty member of Computational Science and Engineering program.
- Joint appointment in the departments of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, and Civil and Environmental Engineering and at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at UIUC.
- Member of the Science Steering Committee of the Center for the Simulation of Advanced Rockets
- N.A.T.O. Postdoctoral Research Associate, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, November 93 to December 94.
Major Honors and Awards:
- University of Illinois College of Engineering Xerox Research Award, 2006
- Bliss Faculty Scholar, College of Engineering, UIUC, 2005-present.
- "Incomplete List of Teachers Rated as Excellent by Their Students," 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005.
- University of Illinois College of Engineering Everitt Teaching Award, 2000
- AIAA Teacher of the Year Award, UIUC, 1998
- American Society for Composites Best Paper Award, 16th Technical Conference, Polymer Matrix Composite Division, 2001
- University of Illinois College of Engineering Xerox Research Award, 1999 & 2006
- NSF Career Award, 1998
- N.A.T.O. Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1994
- Geubelle, P. H. and Rice, J. R. (1995) "A spectral method for 3D elastodynamic fracture problems". J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 43:11, 1791-1824.
- Geubelle, P. H. and Baylor, J. (1998) "Impact-induced delamination of composites: a 2D simulation". Composites B, 29B, 589-602.
- Geubelle, P. H. and Kubair, D. (2001) "Intersonic crack propagation in homogeneous media under shear-dominated loading: Numerical analysis". J. Mech. Physics Solids, 49:3, 571-587.
- Zhu Q. and Geubelle, P.H. (2002) "Dimensional accuracy of thermoset composites: shape optimization". J. Composite Materials, 36:6, 647-672.
- White, S. R., Sottos, N. R., Geubelle, P. H., Moore, J. S., Kessler, M. R., Sriram, S. R., Brown, E. N. and Viswanathan, S. (2001) "Autonomic healing of polymer composites". Nature, 409, 794-797.
- Maiti, S., Rangaswamy, K. and Geubelle, P. H. (2005) "Mesoscale analysis of dynamic fragmentation of ceramics under tension". Acta Materialia, 53:3, 823-834.
- Maiti, S. and Geubelle, P. H. (2005) "A cohesive model for fatigue failure of polymers". Eng. Fracture Mechanics, 72:5, 691-708.
- Hendrickx, J., Geubelle, P. H. and Sottos, N. R. (2005) "A spectral scheme to simulate the mode III dynamic delamination of thin films". Eng. Fracture Mech., 72, 1866-1891.
- Jaiman, R. K., Jiao, X., Geubelle, P. H. and Loth, E. (2005) "Assessment of conservative load transfer for fluid-solid interface with non-matching meshes". Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 64, 2014-2038.
- Jaiman, R. K., Jiao, X., Geubelle, P. H. and Loth, E. (2005) “Conservative load transfer along curved fluid-solid interface with non-matching meshes”. To appear in J. Computational Physics.
- Matous, K. and Geubelle, P. H (2006) “Multiscale analysis of particle debonding in reinforced elastomers subjected to finite deformation”. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 65, 190-223.