|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
|317 Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
|Aerospace Robotics and Control Group|
|Aerospace systems, autonomous systems, and robotics. In particular, nonlinear control theory; cooperative control and synchronization of multi-vehicle systems; neurobiologically inspired control of flapping flight and robot locomotion; robust nonlinear control of robots and high performance aerospace vehicles; formation of flying UAVs/MAVs and spacecraft; innovative concepts for space systems; space tethers; control experimentation and instrumentation; vision-based SLAM and path planning in GPS-denied environments.|
- Sc.D. Estimation and Control, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007
- M.S. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering, summa cum laude, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 1998
- 2009-present: Assistant Professor of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois
- 2007-2009: Assistant Professor of Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2008-2009: Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2000-2002, 2003-2007: Graduate Research Assistant, MIT Space Systems Laboratory
- 2002-2003: Research Engineer, New Initiative Office, National Optical Astronomical Observatories, Tucson, AZ
Major Honors and Awards:
- NASA JPL Summer Faculty Fellow (2010)
- Best Paper Award, AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference (2009)
- AFOSR Young Investigator Award (2008)
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (2008)
- Finalist, Best Student Paper, AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) Conference (2006)
- Excellent Reviewer, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (2006) (2010)
- KAIST Action Committee Presidential Award - fourth highest honor graduate, out of 600 (1998)
- Ranked 1/120, Mechanical/Aerospace/Nuclear Engineering, KAIST, class of 1998
- Summa Cum Laude, Highest Distinction, KAIST (1998)
- AT&T Asia/Pacific Leadership Award (2000)
- Outstanding Faculty in College of Engineering, Iowa State University VEISHEA (2009)
- Most Interesting Line of Research Award, Dept. Aerospace Eng., Iowa State, Fall 2008, Spring 2009
- Most Inspiring Professor Award, Dept. Aerospace Eng., Iowa State, Fall 2008, Spring 2009
- A. A. Paranjape, S.-J. Chung, and M. S. Selig, "Flight Mechanics of a Tailless Articulated Wing Aircraft," Bioinspiration & Biomimetics Vol. 6, No. 2, 2011.
- S.-J. Chung and M. Dorothy, "Neurobiologically Inspired Control of Engineered Flapping Flight," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 33, No. 2, Mar.-Apr. 2010, pp. 440-453.
- K. Seo, S.-J. Chung, and J.-J. E. Slotine, "CPG-based Control of a Turtle-like Underwater Vehicle," Autonomous Robots, special issue in "Control of Locomotion: From Animals to Robots", Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 247-269, 2010.
- S.-J. Chung, and J.-J. E. Slotine, "Cooperative Robot Control and Concurrent Synchronization of Lagrangian Systems," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 686-700, June 2009.
- S.-J. Chung, U. Ahsun, and J.-J. E. Slotine, "Application of Synchronization to Formation Flying Spacecraft: Lagrangian Approach," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 512-526, Mar.-Apr. 2009.
- S.-J. Chung, and D. W. Miller, "Propellant-Free Control of Tethered Formation Flight, Part 1: Linear Control and Experimentation," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 571-584, May-June 2008.
- S.-J. Chung, J.-J. E. Slotine, and D. W. Miller, "Propellant-Free Control of Tethered Formation Flight, Part 2: Nonlinear Underactuated Control," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 1437-1446, September-October 2008.
- S.-J. Chung, J.-J. E. Slotine, and D. W. Miller, "Nonlinear Model Reduction and Decentralized Control of Tethered Formation Flight," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 390-400, 2007.
- S.-J. Chung, D. W. Miller, and O. L. de Weck, "ARGOS Testbed: Study of Multidisciplinary Challenges of Future Spaceborne Interferometric Arrays," Optical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 9, pp. 2156-2167, September 2004.