|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
|305A Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
|Nanomechanics and Materials Research Lab (NMRL)|
|Experimental mechanics at the nanoscale: fracture and fatigue of MEMS/NEMS and thin film materials, deformation and damage mechanics of inhomogeneous/anisotropic materials and nanocomposites, time and rate dependent mechanics of polymeric and metallic nanofibers and thin films, mechanical properties and interfacial mechanics of individual carbon nanofibers and nanotubes in polymeric nanocomposites, applications of scanning probe microscopy in mechanics, MEMS tools for nanoscale experimentation.|
- Ph.D., Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, 2002
- M.S., Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology, 1998
- Diploma, Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1996
- Professor, Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), Urbana, Illinois, 2012
- Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), Urbana, Illinois, 2008-2012
- Affiliate of the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, UIUC, 2005-present
- Affiliate of the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, UIUC, 2005-present
- Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), Urbana, Illinois, 2005-2008
- Part-time Faculty of the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, UIUC, 2005-present
- Research Assistant Professor Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, UIUC, 2005-present
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Virginia, 2001-2004
Major Honors and Awards:
- Hetenyi Best Paper Award for paper published in Experimental Mechanics in 2010
- ASME Thomas J.R. Hughes Young Investigator Award, 2011
- Journal of Strain Analysis Young Investigator Lecture, 2011
- Society of Engineering Science Young Investigator Medal, 2010
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), 2010
- Willett Faculty Scholar of Engineering, UIUC, 2009
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2008
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2007
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research, College of Engineering, UIUC, 2007
- American Academy of Mechanics (AAM) Founders Prize and Grant, October 2000
- Charles Babcock Memorial Award, California Institute of Technology, June 1999
- N. Karanjgaokar, C. Oh, J. Lambros, I. Chasiotis, “Temperature and Strain Rate Effects on the Mechanical Behavior of Nanocrystalline Au Thin Films”, Acta Materialia 60, pp. 5352–5361, (2012).
- T. Ozkan, Q. Chen, I. Chasiotis, “Interfacial Strength and Fracture Energy of Individual Carbon Nanofibers in Epoxy Matrix as a Function of Surface Conditions”, Composites Science and Technology 72, 965-975, (2012).
- S. Yagnamurthy, I. Chasiotis, J. Lambros, R. Polcawich, J. Pulskamp, M. Dubey, “Mechanical and Ferroelectric Behavior of PZT Thin Films,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 20, pp. 1250-1258, (2011).
- L. Sun, N. Karanjgaokar, K. Sun, I. Chasiotis, W.C. Carter, S. Dillon, “High-Strength All-Solid Lithium Ion Electrodes Based on Li4Ti5O12”, Journal of Power Sources 196, pp. 6507–6511, (2011).
- M. Naraghi, S. Arshad, I. Chasiotis, “Molecular Orientation and Mechanical Property Size Effects in Electrospun Polyacrylonitrile Nanofibers”, Polymer 52, pp. 1612-1618, (2011).
- N. Karanjgaokar, C. Oh, I. Chasiotis, “Microscale Experiments at Elevated Temperatures Evaluated with Digital Image Correlation”, Experimental Mechanics 51, pp. 609-618, (2011).
- S.N. Arshad, M. Naraghi, I. Chasiotis, “Strong Carbon Nanofibers from Electrospun Polyacrylonitrile”, Carbon 49, pp. 1710-1719, (2011).
- K. Jonnalagadda, N. Karanjgaokar, I. Chasiotis, J. Chee, D. Peroulis, “Strain Rate Sensitivity of Nanocrystalline Au Films at Room Temperature,” Acta Materialia 58, pp. 4674-4684, (2010).
- T. Ozkan, M. Naraghi, I. Chasiotis, “Mechanical Properties of Vapor Grown Carbon Nanofibers,” Carbon 48, pp. 239-244, (2010).
- K. Jonnalagadda, I. Chasiotis, J. Lambros, R. Polcawich, J. Pulskamp, M. Dubey, “Experimental Investiga-tion of Strain Rate Dependence in Nanocrystalline Pt Films,” Experimental Mechanics 50, pp. 25-35, (2010).
- J. Kimberley, J. Lambros, I. Chasiotis, R. Polcawich, J. Pulskamp, and M. Dubey, “Mechanics of energy transfer and failure of ductile microbeams subjected to dynamic loading”, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 58, pp. 1125–1138, (2010).
- Q. Chen, I. Chasiotis, C. Chen, A. Roy, “Nanoscale and Effective Mechanical Behavior and Fracture of Silica Nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology 68 (15-16), pp. 3137-3144, (2008).
- K. Jonnalagadda, S. Cho, I. Chasiotis, T.A. Friedman, J. Sullivan, “Effect of Intrinsic Stress Gradient on the Effective Mode-I Fracture Toughness of Amorphous Diamond-like Carbon Films for MEMS,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 56, pp. 388-401, (2008).
- S.W. Cho and I. Chasiotis, “Elastic Properties and Representative Volume Element of Polycrystalline Silicon for MEMS,” Experimental Mechanics 47 (1), pp. 37-49, (2007).
- S.W. Cho K. Jonnalagadda, and I. Chasiotis, (Invited) “Mode I and Mixed Mode Fracture of Polysilicon for MEMS,” Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 30 (1), pp. 21-31, (2007).
- A. McCarty, and I. Chasiotis, “Description of Brittle Failure of Non-uniform MEMS Geometries”, Thin Solid Films 515, pp. 3267-3276, (2007).
- I. Chasiotis, S.W. Cho, K. Jonnalagadda, “Fracture Toughness and Subcritical Crack Growth in Polycrystalline Silicon,” Journal of Applied Mechanics 73 (5), pp. 714-722, (2006).
- I. Chasiotis, Q. Chen, G. Odegard, T. Gates, “Structure-Properties Relationships in Graphite Platelet-Reinforced Polymer Composites,” Experimental Mechanics 45 (6), pp. 507-516, (2005).
- S. Cho, J.F. Cárdenas-García, I. Chasiotis, “Measurement of Nano-displacements and Elastic Properties of MEMS via the Microscopic Hole Method,” Sensors and Actuators A Physical 120, pp. 163-171, (2005).
- S.W. Cho and I. Chasiotis, T.A. Friedman, and J. Sullivan, "Direct Measurements of Young's Modulus, Poisson's Ratio and Failure Properties of ta-C MEMS," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 15 (4), pp. 728-735, (2005).
- I. Chasiotis, Invited Paper: "Mechanics of Thin Films and Microdevices," IEEE Transactions of Devices, Materials, and Reliability 4 (2), pp. 176-188, (2004).
- I. Chasiotis, W.G. Knauss, "Experimentation at the Micron- and Submicron Scale," in Comprehensive Structural Integrity Vol. 8. Interfacial and Nanoscale Failure. Volume Editors: W. Gerberich and W. Yang, Elsevier Science, pp. 41-87, (2003).
- I. Chasiotis, W.G. Knauss, “The Mechanical Strength of Polysilicon Films: 1. The Influence of Fabrication Governed Surface Conditions”, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 51, pp. 1533-1550, (2003).
- I. Chasiotis, W.G. Knauss, "The Mechanical Strength of Polysilicon Films: 2. Size Effects Associated with Elliptical and Circular Perforations," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 51, pp. 1551-1572, (2003).
- I. Chasiotis, W.G. Knauss, "A New Microtensile Tester for the Study of MEMS Materials with the aid of Atomic Force Microscopy," Experimental Mechanics 42 (1), pp. 51-57, (2002).