Daniel J. Bodony
|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
| 313 Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
Research Areas: aeroacoustics, computational fluid dynamics, combustion
Professor Bodony is interested in unsteady flow phenomena, with a particular emphasis on flows that generate sound, using large scale simulations (large-eddy and direct numerical simulations) and analytical methods. His research includes high-speed flows (e.g., the noise produced by modern turbo-fan engines) and low-speed flows (e.g., the sound produced during turbulent combustion and by the human voice).
- Ph.D., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, 2004.
- M.S., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 1999.
- B.S., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 1997.
Honors and Awards:
- AIAA Aeroacoustics Technical Committee Associate Member, 2006-present
- American Physical Society Forum on Graduate Student Affairs Member-at-Large, 2005-2007
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Foundation Scholarship, 2003-2004
- Department of Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, 1998-2001
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research Summer Graduate Research Program, 1998
- Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, University of Ilinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006–present
- Research Associate, Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University, 2005-2006
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford
- Bodony, D. J., Ryu, J. and Lele, S.K. (2006) Investigating broadband shock-associated noise of axisymmetric jets using large-eddy simulation, Presented at the 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Cambridge, MA, 08–10 May.
- Ihme, M., Bodony, D. J. and Pitsch, H (2006) Prediction of combustion-generated noise
in non-premixed turbulent jet flames using large-eddy simulation, AIAA Paper 2006-2614,
Presented at the 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Cambridge, MA, 08–10 May.
- Bodony, D. J. and Lele, S. K. (2006) Review of the current status of jet noise predictions using large-eddy simulation (invited) AIAA Paper 2006-0468. Presented at the 44th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, January 09-12.
- Bodony, D. J. (2006) "Analysis of Sponge Boundary Treatments for Computational Fluid Mechanics," J. Comp. Phys. 212, pp. 681-702.
- Bodony, D. J. and Lele, S. K. (2006) "Applications and results: Jet noise." LES for Acoustics (ed. C. Wagner, T. Hiittl & P. Sagaut). Cambridge Univ. Press, pp. 289-310.
- Bodony, D. J. and Lele, S. K. (2005) "On Using Large-Eddy Simulation for the Prediction of Noise from Cold and Heated Turbulent Jets." Phys. Fluids, Vol. 17, 085103.