Lawrence A. Bergman
|Return to: Faculty|
|Office address||Mailing Address||Research Group|
|321E Talbot Lab
|306 Talbot Lab
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
|Linear and Nonlinear Dynamics and Vibrations Lab|
|Computational stochastic mechanics; deterministic and stochastic structural dynamics; targeted energy transfer and energy harvesting in dynamical systems.|
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, 1980, Case Western Reserve University
- M.S., Civil Engineering, 1978, Case Western Reserve University
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1966, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Professor of Aeronautical and Astronautical Eng., UIUC, 1994-present
- Dept. Affiliate, Civil and Environmental Eng., UIUC, 2000-present
- Dept. Affiliate, Mechanical and Industrial Eng., UIUC, 1999-present
- Assistant Dean of Engineering, UIUC, August 1996-May 1997
- Associate Professor, UIUC, 1985-1994
- Assistant Professor, UIUC, 1979-1985
- Visiting Professor, Division of Applied Mathematics and Physics, Department of Mechanics, National Technical University of Athens, September, 2003-January, 2004
- Visiting Professor, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, August, 1995-May, 1996
- Visiting Associate Professor, Rice University, Houston, Texas, January, 1987-May, 1987
Major Honors and Awards:
- Editor, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 2000-2005
- Editorial Board, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 2000-present
- Associate Editor, Shock and Vibration Digest, 1998-present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Vibration and Control, 1994-2006
- Associate Editor, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 1989-1997
- Charles E. Schmidt Distinguished Visiting Professorship, Center for Applied Stochastics Research, Florida Atlantic University, June, 2002
- A. M. Freudenthal Guest Professorship, Universität Innsbruck, May, 2000
- IASSAR Senior Award in Computational Stochastic Mechanics, 2001
- ASCE Norman Medal (co-recipient), 1999
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, 1998
- ASCE State-of-the-Art in Civil Engineering Award (co-recipient), 1983
- Fellow, ASME
- Associate Fellow, AIAA
- Tau Beta Pi
- Sigma Gamma Tau
- Passive Nonlinear Targeted Energy Transfer in Mechanical and Structural Systems: I and II. A.F. Vakakis, O. Gendelman, L.A. Bergman, D.M. McFarland, G. Kerschen, Y.S. Lee. ISBN: 978-1-4020-9125-4, Springer Verlag Series: Solid Mechanics and Its Applications, Vol.156, Berlin and New York, November 2008, 1050 pp (research monograph).
- Advanced Nonlinear Strategies for Vibration Mitigation and System Identification, A.F. Vakakis (Editor), L.A. Bergman, D.M. McFarland, O. Gendelman, L.I. Manevitch, G. Kerschen. International Center for Mechanical Sciences (CISM) Courses and Lectures No. 518, ISBN: 978-3-7091-0204-6, Springer Verlag, Berlin and New York, May 2010, 300 pp.
- Targeted Energy Transfer Between a Model Flexible Wing and a Nonlinear Energy Sink 2010, S. Hubbard, D.M. McFarland, L. Bergman, A.F. Vakakis. AIAA J. Aircraft, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 1918-1931.
- Enhanced Passive Targeted Energy Transfer in Strongly Nonlinear Mechanical Oscillators 2011, O.V. Gendelman, T. Sapsis, A.F. Vakakis, L.Bergman, Journal of Sound and Vibration (Rapid Communication), Vol. 330, No.1, pp. 1-8.
- Towards a New Type of Energy Trap: Classical Analog of Quantum Landau-Zener Tunneling 2011, L.I. Manevitch, Yu.A. Kosevich, M. Mane, G. Sigalov, L.A. Bergman, A.F. Vakakis. International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, Vol. 46, No.1, pp. 247-252.
- Effect of Stochasticity on Targeted Energy Transfer from a Linear Medium to a Strongly Nonlinear Attachment 2011, T.P. Sapsis, A.F. Vakakis, L.A. Bergman. Probabilistic Mechanics, Vol. 26, pp. 119-133.